Monday, January 09, 2012

Classes, writing and novels

First off, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been sick. Not a nice kind of sick either. Rather, it was a scary sort of sick and I ended up in the hospital and had to have a tonsil removed (no, not two, just one). Anyway, it was a shitty way to spend new years, but I've been recovering quite nicely and this makes me happy.

On to the theme of this post!

So this semester I'm taking a novel writing class, or what I guess is a novel writing class? And in all honesty I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to be there. Entering a room full of upper-level writing students when you aren't one of them feels more daunting than I expected, especially because I didn't really recognize anyone... Honestly, the only reason I'm sticking with this class is because a) I love to write and I haven't been able to do very much of it lately, which makes me sad and I sorta feel disconnected and weird about it; b) the teacher is really really really hot. Best looking prof I've had... he has the cute nerd glasses and everything and barely looks over thirty ;) and c) the instructor (Lee Henderson, in case you were wondering) mentioned Jorge Luis Borges, but at first i didn't know who he was talking about because he said his name funny (i.e. correctly) then when I realized that is who he was talking about I got super excited because he is one of my favourite poets and writers, although I've mostly read his poetry so far. I own both his anthology of poems and fiction. He is completely brilliant, like crazy brilliant. He wrote my absolute favourite poem Street with the Pink Corner Store (also he was a librarian!). Enough gushing about that, moving on!

Anyway, after class I asked him if I should even be in the class and what would be expected of me... it was super awkward because this sorta cute guy who'd been sitting by was standing there listening to the entire awkward conversation! Ugh. Doubt he's sitting by me again. Beside the awkwardness I'm super excited for the class. We get to write the first two chapters of a novel and outline the rest. It should be a good time and since I love writing novels and stories it should actually be fun. I'm gonna kinda look at it as my light class because I know it won't be as hard as some of the English stuff I do, but at the same time I cannot afford to get lower than a B this semester soooo it'll be lots of work regardless of where I put it on my scale of importance.

I now need novel ideas! I have like, one, right now, but I wanna save it for a later date because it's special. I want to write that novel one day and publish it. But I need to go to England first. That is crucial for it. Buuuuuuut I don't want to give away what the idea is because, as I said, it's special. I wanna take the time to research and experience it, of course I can't know that it'll work or not, but I want to try and that's really what counts.

So basically I need some novel ideas! If you have any suggestions, etc you should let me knoooooow! It'll be super helpful. Like, actually. I think I might have a little brainstorm/editing/writing session now, cause I've misssssed them! Night lovelies. <3

No comments: