Friday, June 24, 2011

Jane Eyre

So I'm reading Jane Eyre for the first time. I feel like this is a long overdue read because I've seen almost every movie adaption of the book and love the story. I'm finding Jane a lot more interesting and strange than in the movies, as well as boring. Her character is so disconnected from its self I don't know what to make of her! She talks about herself like she's another person although she is narrating the story. I guess it is showing an example of human change which can be interesting, but since I haven't finished the book (not even close to it) I can't tell you how she changes.

One particular character trait I find very appealing in Jane is her restlessness and her romantic notions. This is very apparent when she meets Mr. Rochester for the first time. She has all these exciting ideas running through her head about who is approaching her on the trail, imagining that is a mythic creature. I Also found it very interesting that Mr. Rochester's character picks up on this when he 'officially' meets Jane. The entire scene of them meeting is lacking in emotion, besides interesting in Mr. Rochester simply because he is the first man she has seen in ages, Jane expresses little emotion. Mr. Rochester is simply gruff and rude. Jane and Mr. Rochester's character's seem to be mirrors or doubles of each other. Both expressing curiosity in each other, but without being able to comprehend each other. This incomprehension could reflect the separate social worlds of men and women of the Victorian era. The women being the 'angel of the house' and Mr. Rochester being a man of the world. This is reflected very well in the two character's role through this portion of the novel. Jane, being a governess is automatically his subordinate, but when he asks her to talk with him on equal terms with him he is really asking her to talk with him on terms of them being equal man and woman, not equal individuals. He says that' he can order her because he has more experience, is older and has travelled more. Jane points out that that shouldn't be the reason he orders her around.

Jane's character also has a very feminist edge, which I like because it is unusual for novels of that period, but maybe having a female author gives it this. She talks about how education should be equal for men and women and how women get bored with the small world men place them in, she also points out that men would get bored in that place as well. Jane also constantly holds her place in the household and acts with little emotion which makes her character seem almost flat in some instance. This is very unusual for the main character of a novel.

I think I love her, but I still haven't come to a conclusive decision, I'd like to see a little more emotion from her. Hopefully when she falls in love she'll be more interesting.

Anyway I'll write another post on my feelings on this chica cause I need to figure them out!

No comments: