Monday, September 12, 2011

Theory and why I like it.

So I promised this post about why I like theory... or theories in general I suppose. First I need to start with a couple of things about how I view the world etc (sorry this is going to be a very internalized, possibly confusing and definitely narcissistic post, sorry in advance). I know everything is connected, this is super obvious. I also believe that people and ideas are created through experience (as well as some biological make-up in the case of people). I suppose that would be phenomenology (correct me if I'm wrong) and I believe that while we create our own world and how we act, what we do and how we experience things we also are created by the world. It is a two way street, much like respect. My understanding of the clone will represent what I mean (I think). You can clone a person and raise them to be the person they are the clone of, but the clone will never ever be the exact same person unless every minute detail (and I mean every goddamn detail people, nothing left out, not even a nose scratch or a hair raise) is identical. If one thing is not identical, even in a small way, that alters the enter personality of the individual and they cannot be the same person ever. That is how ingrained into experience and life we are.

So where does theory come in? Well I see life as a giant complex puzzle, one without an answer, but it must be organized and understood somehow. Theories about life, the universe, love, happiness are abundant, but often wrong. This is because they are theories, they aren't meant to be right or wrong even and despite our best efforts to define a black and white universe it wont ever happen simply because there are too many variables in human behaviour, but mostly because humans cannot read minds, even if they we could, what good do you think that would do us? I can tell you right now, my mind is super interesting to me and super confusing and complex to me. How would it even begin to make sense to anyone else? Thoughts are such a vague, enormous concept it is impossible to pin them down, we've tried. I like to make a super abstract metaphor with the universe and the human mind. They are the same thing (in concept, or theory I suppose) neither can be limited or comprehend. The mind is limitless in what it can imagine as the universe is limitless in possibilities because it contains the mind. Yet, both the human mind and the universe are incomprehensible to the human mind. Humans cannot know their own potential because we cannot know what others are thinking and because of this we cannot know the potential of the universe. This makes them the same thing.

Now to theory. I like it because it's like a giant confusing puzzle with an answer, or answer of sorts. You can apply any sort of theory to any sort of question. I love questions and I love puzzles. I love solving puzzles (this is not to say I'm particularly good at them). Theory can give both answers to puzzles and questions, but it also can raise questions and create more puzzles. The other thing about theory is that it is a giant argument (or debate would be the better word here, but I like how argument sounds better). It is basically one theorist responding to a previous theorist, while at the same time attempting to cover their own ass in anticipation of the next theorist. I love to argue. Don't believe me? Try it sometime. I am stubborn and determined, I like a challenge and I wont stop unless I believe I am proved wrong. This is why theory appeals to me so much. It's a giant argument about questions and puzzles and about experience, but as my favourite prof said, it's about getting at the truth, which is something I value highly, probably too highly.

So this is an extremely lengthy explanation most of which isn't really related to theory, besides illustrating some of my own ideas... I warned you it would be narcissistic. I hope that it sheds some light on me though, and is sorta fun? I dunno. I shouldn't write things that are so confusing here I guess, but I couldn't resist. I have all these ideas all the time and I never put them out there in cyber space...I didn't even start on my theory of creativity and creation (not to be confused with creationism, but just the general creation of things, or more accurately the process of creativity and creation, basically in relation to art and like forms). See I tangent to much when I do this. I think maybe I should have been a philosophy major, but that is just an idea, and much to abstract for meeeee. Hope someone enjoys some of this, I'd really love to here thoughts, if you don't have a google account and we're friends YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME! That is all everyone! Goodnight!

No comments: