Saturday, January 13, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth, Global Warming and the Kyoto Protocol

Tonight I watched "An Inconvenient Truth", a documentary about global warming with ex politician Al Gore. He talked about all the effects of global warming, on people, the environment, politics, economy. He tried to cover it all and I have to say he did a pretty good job of it. Now lots of the stuff I had heard before, about glaciers melting, and the poles breaking away. But there was some new stuff in there as well, like the fact that this isn't an age old trend, but something new that we are doing to the planet ourselves. This made me think of the Kyoto Protocol, some of my teachers had briefly mentioned it when talking to the class, but nothing in depth and it was mentioned in the film, but I really knew nothing about it so I decided to find out more. It is an agreement between about 189 nations to reduce the green house gas admissions, 5.2% or more depending, compared to 1990, in the 2008-2012 period. There is a lot more to it than that but it is rather complicated and to be honest I didn't really understand it that well. I think I now have a more educated outlook on global warming and I am going to try to do what I can to help, part of that is by writing this. So please go see "An Inconvenient Truth" its a very interesting and educational movie, and please try to do what you can about global warming. Speak out and take action.

No comments: